1st Team, Home

Dean & Adlard Shine As Hull Escape Fylde With A Valuable Win

In a game as exciting as any they have played this season, Hull’s extraordinary ability to come back at sides in the second half, and their awesome defence was needed in full  measure to come out on top against a talented Fylde side 28-26.

In the first half, Hull played into the breeze and were on the back foot right from the start when they had their full back Reece Dean yellow carded in the second minute. Fylde made full use of their numerical superiority scoring twice in quick succession.

Firstly, number eight David Fairbrother went over for a try after eight minutes and this was followed by a further try by hooker Ben Gregory after 12 minutes. Both tries were converted by off half Greg Smith to see the home side 14-0 ahead.

Hull then had a long period camped on the Fylde line and despite a large penalty count were not able to score. Fylde had two yellow cards in this period and the inevitable penalty try came just after Hull had brought on substitute props Charlie Beech and Ben Bootham to see the score at 14-7 in Fylde’s favour after 34 minutes. A late first half try by Fylde winger Tom Carleton saw Fylde in good position leading 19-7 at half-time.

The second half saw Hull growing in stature as their forwards kept applying pressure and having pushed Fylde off their own scrum ball in the ’22’, Hull were able to make some space for winger Keane Naylor to round his man and touch down in the right hand corner. Off half Simon Humberstone’s conversion saw Hull back in touch at 19-14 to Fylde.

After 65 minutes, Hull were again pressing inside the home side’s half and after good work by driving the ball forward, play was moved to Dean who raced in for a try well converted by Humberstone after 65 minutes.

Leading 21-19, Hull were not home and dry and another sweeping attack by Fylde saw Gregory score a try converted by Smith to see his side back in the lead 26-21.

Hull then gathered themselves once more and a brilliant sidestep and dummy saw Fylde’s defence split wide open by Dean who raced in from 45 yards and convert his own try to see Hull leading 28-26 with 10 minutes to go.

Fylde were not lying down and only a great last ditch tackle by Adlard, saw the home side knock on over the line in the last play of the game. Hull got home by the slimmest of margins 28-26 and needing just three points to to end the season as league leaders.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s