1st Team, Home

Adlard Double Helps Keep Hull Top Of The Table

In what proved to be a disjointed first half punctuated by regular stoppages and consultations between the officials, Chester started well and were soon in Hull’s ‘22’. A potential try scoring pass was knocked down by Hull and a yellow card for Keane Naylor and three points from the boot of Chester’s off half Liam Reeve was the result of that foray by Chester. 

Moments later, with Chester back in Hull’s half another Liam Reeve penalty saw Chester into a 6-0 lead after just nine minutes.

Hull were warming to the task after the early set backs and after getting into the Chester ‘22’ and winning their lineout, the ball was moved right and then back left where a deft chip by full back Reece Dean saw Mike Adlard first to the ball for a try to Hull in the left corner. Simon Humberstones conversion bounced back off the upright.

Chester were making the most of their opportunities and almost immediately they capitalised on yet another penalty award in Hull’s half and Reeve to put his side 9-5 ahead after just 16 minutes.

Both sides had good moments thereafter, but Hull were finding Chester’s defence hard to break down and even after Chester had their number eight George Battersby yellow carded, Hull could not find their way to the try line despite very heavy pressure on the Chester line.

After some scary moments in Hull’s ‘22’, when they lost the ball a couple of times, Hull finished the stronger. A melee on the half way line saw Hull’s Liam Regardsoe and Chester’s number six Kyle Joseph yellow carded before the ensuing penalty saw Hull apply enough pressure  to come away from the Chester line with a Humberstone penalty on the stroke of halftime to see Hull trailing by just one point 9-8.

The second half saw Hull score within two minutes after a loose clearance kick by Chester saw Dean and Naylor take the ball to Chester’s line for prop Charlie Beech to barge over for a try well converted by Humberstone to see Hull lead for the first time 15-9.

After 50 minutes, a penalty by Humberstone saw Hull stretch their lead to 18-9 with half an hour to play.

Chester’s response was immediate as Hull failed to control the kick off and a penalty by Reeve saw Hull’s advantage reduced to 18-12. Hull had a penalty of their own converted by Humberstone after 60 minutes and five minutes later when good handling saw Dean go over for a try converted by Humberstone, it seemed Hull were home and dry.

However, Chester bounced back with a catch and drive try converted by Reeve to give them hope after 73 minutes, but Hull were in no mood to concede further. 

A thunderous finale saw prop Ben Bootham get the touchdown from a classic catch and drive try and winger Adlard score a 60 yard interception try. Both were converted by the ever reliable Humberstone to see Hull eventually convincing winners by 40-19.

Richard Gore

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s