1st Team

Match Report: (H) Firwood Waterloo W 34-8

Gary Pearce, Hull’s head coach said that he thought Hull were a bit Ring rusty from a three week Christmas break and that some over elaboration in the first half were the main reasons why Hull left it until the second half to subdue relegation threatened Waterloo.
The Merseysiders got off to a flying start and after a simple penalty in the first minute by their full back Liam Reeve was quickly followed by a good try by their centre Matt Crow Waterloo held the advantage after just eight minutes.
Hull reacted to these reverses and moments later were setting up a series of catch and drive opportunities but despite Waterloo’s prop Luandels being yellow carded Hull could not force their way over during that five minute spell of pressure.
It took Hull until the twenty sixth minute to open their account through the boot of Tamasi Tanumi whose penalty followed a good move from deep in their own half which was only halted illegally by Waterloo.
Better was to come just six minute later when Hull’s off half Chris Harding went through a gap in the visitors defence near the half way line and sprint to the line for a fine try converted by Tomasi Tanumi to see Hull go into the lead 11-8 which remained the score until halftime.
The second period was only two minutes old when Waterloo’s centre Cunningham was yellow carded for a late high challenge on Hull’s Chris Harding but again Hull were not able to take advantage of their numerical superiority.
it took until the fifty seventh minute before Hull’s growing confidence was translated into points when a good catch and drive from ten yards out saw Hull’s number eight Joe Stafford get the touch down fifteen yards from touch but the conversion went wide.
With the home sides confidence growing it came as no surprise when a good break by full back Lee Birch and winger Ashley Smith ended with back row man Cameron Curry storming over for another converted try after sixty eight minutes to see Hull in control at 20-8. 
With the visitors tiring Hull were able to play some expansive rugby and after seventy two minutes another Ashley Smith break was rounded off by substitute winger George Fossey whose try in the left hand corner was magnificently converted by Tomasi Tanumi.
Hull’s final try was the result of a break by winger Jamie Kirk deep in his own half which allowed prop Dominic Hardman to romp over from thirty yards out leaving Tomasi Tanumi the simple task off adding the conversion to see Hull seal a comfortable win and with a maximum points haul keep in touch with the leagues leading group.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s