1st Team, Home

Hull come up short as Peterborough seal promotion

In a very good game of rugby at the Ferens Ground Hull’s promotion hopes were dashed by a very good Peterborough side who deserved their victory.
In the first hour of the game they built up a 31-10 lead and although Hull spent most of the final quarter in the Peterborough half and managed to score a try and a penalty try it was just not enough.
The game got off to an explosive start as the Lions built up some early pressure and in the fifth minute a move across the front of the Hull posts saw their fly-half Ben Young cross for a good try which was unconverted.
In the 13th minute Hull forced a 10-metre scrum and keeping up the pressure a mid-field switch saw Steve Hihetah pop up in the centre to break the cover and touch down behind the posts for his 34th try of the season. Steve Johnson converted to put Hull ahead for the only time in the game.
Taking the restart kick the Lions worked their way into the Hull quarter and two minutes later their speedy full-back Semise Tei broke through to score a try which centre Nico Defeo converted.
Hull hit back forcing a penalty followed by a line-out which the Lions defended well and although Hull kept up the pressure the Lions worked their way to their forty-metre line before Semisi Tei hit again with a stunning 60 metre break straight through the heart of the Hull defence for a fine individual try which Defeo again converted to put his side 19-7 ahead.
The remainder of the half was mainly confined to the mid-field with both defences on top but just before the break Hull again pressured the Lions defence with two scrums and a line-out and right on half-time full-back Lee Birch was held up over the line.
Hull knew they needed to be the first to score but it was the Lions who increased their lead in the 46th minute when prop forward Josh Waller was bundled over the line with the help of two of his forward colleagues leaving Defeo with a simple conversion.
Three minute later the Lions were penalised and Steve Johnson landed a good kick from 35 metres. In the 53rd minute the visitors scored their fifth and final try when a slick movement to the left resulted in left-winger Kaz Henderson touching down in the corner for an unconverted try.
Trailing 31-10 to Peterborough Lions and in the final quarter Hull, by now playing for pride, showed some of the form they had shown all season long. They tore into the Lions defence and with their forwards gaining the upper hand constant pressure before the 73rd minute saw a move to the right where Johnson put in a neat kick ahead which Mike Adlard gathered to score his 24th try of the season, too far out for the conversion.
Two minutes from time, and with the Lions pack visibly wilting, Hull drove them back over their own line beneath the posts and the referee had no hesitation in awarding a penalty try for a final score of 31-22.
All at Hull RUFC congratulate the Lions on their promotion and wish them well for next season. Hull will have to do it all again in 2018/19 and try to win outright promotion.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s