1st Team, Home

New Season Starts With A Loss At Bishop’s Stortford

Hull’s first ever fixture in National League 1 was a tough baptism, but then it was always going to be and head coach Gary Pearce said that although the side coped well with the physical challenge and dominated most scrums, there were other parts of their game that were less successful.
Pearce felt the team needed to understand how to work with referees, and in future games, tighten up on discipline and control the ball a little better at all times.
Hull started very well and were three points within 90 seconds thanks to off-half Joe Carlisle’s penalty from in front of the posts.
Bishop’s Stortford responded quickly when Hull gave away a penalty and the home side retained possession from the resulting lineout to eventually put fullback Charlie Parkhouse in for an unconverted try after 12 minutes.
Moments later, Hull seized on the opportunity afforded by the home side’s dropped ball from Hull’s kickoff, and having won the ensuing scrum, and put pressure on the home sides pack, Carlisle opened up the home defence with a well-timed pass before getting an inside off load to score an unconverted try to see Hull leading 8-5 after 14 minutes.
Both sides were giving away penalties, and it was the home side who capitalised on two successive penalties which saw them gain good field position and a lineout near Hull’s try line. The home side won the lineout and although several drives were halted by Hull, a penalty try was awarded seeing the home side lead by just four points after 27 minutes.
As half time approached Bishop’s Stortford took the lead with a penalty kick from Dan Cole which looked to have missed by a yard, but all three officials awarded it to the amused delight of the home side and their supporters.
As the half drew to a close, Hull had prop Charlie Beech yellow carded for a high tackle and the home side immediately scored a further try as prop Will Roberts crashed over for a try converted by Cole to see them leading 22-8 at the break.
Hull came out at the start of the second period intent on making their mark and within two minutes, scrum-half Harvey Harding took a quick tap 40 yards out and beat off four defenders to score a spectacular solo try to see Hull reduce the arrears and get back into the game.
Unfortunately Hull’s comeback was short lived. Almost immediately after Harding’s score, Curry was shown a red card and Hull were down to 13 men.
Just before Beech came back on, Hull went further behind when the home side scored a try through their lock Harry Charter and then two tries in five minutes from winger Jake Morris, one of which was converted, saw Hull well behind at 39-15 with twenty minutes to play.
Hull raised themselves and made good use of their scrummaging superiority as they overpowered the home side and a push over try after 70 minutes was awarded to Will Hall and converted by Reece Dean. It was nothing less than Hull deserved. The home side scored a good late try through Parkhouse to see them home with a deserved victory against a Hull side that fought to the end.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s