1st Team, Home

Dean Shines As Hull Beat Blaydon

A comprehensive maximum points victory against a hard working Blaydon side was not achieved without some scares in the first half when Hull were on the wrong side of an 11-2 penalty count and playing into the breeze. A second half try blitz turned the game decisively in Hull’s favour and sees them remain top of the league tonight by nine points after Rotherham lost 36-31 at Huddersfield.

Hull started the game well and after just two minutes a turnover saw Hull break away from the halfway line and when winger Keane Naylor was held in the tackle, he got a pass away to Sam Crane who touched down for an unconverted try.

Blaydon then took some control of the game aided by a string of penalties and Hull’s line outs not going to hand to take the lead through a good catch and drive try after nine minutes through their prop Drew Thompson converted by scrum half John Clarkson. Blaydon had almost all the ball until the 25th minute when Clarkson kicked a penalty goal to see his side leading 10-5.

Having been on the receiving end of constant Blaydon attacks, Hull responded really well. A driving run by back row man Tom O’Donnell was rounded off by Crane after winger Mike Adlard had made good ground and off loaded to the scrum-half for a good try after 32 minutes.

From the kick off Tom O’Donnell made a spectacular catch and pass the ball on to prop Loma Kivalu who bounced off half a dozen would be tacklers before laying the ball off to second row Liam Regardsoe to score a great forwards try which Humberstone converted seeing Hull go in leading 17-10 up at half time.

The second half was nearly all Hull as they ran in six tries to Blaydon’s one. It took Hull just nine second half minutes before Keane Naylor went over from close range after a good forward drive with Humberstone adding the conversion. Blaydon came back at Hull and touched down after a good drive form a lineout with hooker Dan Gray getting the try with Tristan Somersall adding the conversion after 54 minutes but that was the end of Blaydon scoring as Hull ran in a further five tries.

Mike Adlard raced in again after 62 minutes. Three minutes later Hull surged downfield from their own half and back row man Greg Jones touched down. After 70 minutes full back Reece Dean dummied and sidestepped his way over from 50 yards for a spectacular try.

After 78 minutes, Hull moved the ball right from a forward drive and Dean who had moved up to off-half chipped the ball into the hands of centre Steve McColl who laid the ball off for Adlard to score another well worked try.

A minute later, Dean was involved once again as he floated a long pass to Naylor to round off Hull’s try scoring scoring efforts. Two conversions by Humberstone and two from Dean saw Hull amass a second half tally of 40 points and a winning score of 57-17.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s