1st Team, Home

Adlard Scores Three As Hull Thrash Third Placed Stourbridge

Hull remain top of the National 2 North table after beating Stourbridge, who began the day third in the table, 48-5 at Chants Ave. Mike Adlard scored a hat-trick as the league leaders held their opponents to one unconverted try on the stroke of half-time.

Hull kicked off and they capitalised almost immediately on a Stourbridge knock on after just two minutes. They won the ensuing scrum in their opponents ’22’ and moved the ball left for Hull’s left winger Adlard to touch down in the left hand corner. A superb touchline conversion by Hull’s off half Simon Humberstone saw Hull off to a perfect start leading 7-0.

Just five minutes later, Hull scored a second try when they fashioned a good catch and drive from 10 yards out for back row man Will Hall to get the touch down in the left hand corner for Humberstone to convert again to give Hull a 14-0 lead.

Stourbridge had moments when their slick handling looked to unlock Hull’s defence, but to no avail and it was Hull who scored again after 26 minutes when after a series of close calls and illegal defence by Stourbridge resulting in a yellow card for their hooker Jack Lea, Hull took a quick tap penalty and Hull’s prop Loma Kivalu crashed over for an unconverted try.

Stourbridge never stopped trying and after their hooker Lea returned, they had their best spell of the half. Pressure had built up in the Hull ’22’ and a desperate Hull defence conceded two yellow cards in a minute as firstly centre Steve Johnson and then flanker Ali Thompson were sent to the sin bin.

Numerical superiority counted as the visitors moved the ball to their left after a scrum to see their winger Dan Rundle go over in the corner for an unconverted try after 39 minutes to see Hull lead at halftime 19-5.

With Hull starting the second period with just 13 men, Stourbridge were looking to close the gap, but it was Hull who scored next. Stourbridge had found good field position in the Hull ’22’ but the home side’s flanker Laurence Cowen intercepted a loose pass and sprinted 75 yards before reaching out of the tackle to put Adlard in at the corner for his second try after 48 minutes. Although this score went unconverted it was a body blow to Stourbridge from which they did not recover.

Both sides had good moments in possession but with Hull’s defence pressing Stourbridge into errors Hull took control of the second half. A penalty by Humberstone after 55 minutes stretched Hull’s lead to 27-5.

Then after 65 minutes, Hull fashioned a good catch and drive from a lineout 10 yards out to see hooker Ali Thompson get a try well converted by Humberstone as Hull established an unassailable 34-5 lead.

A confident Hull side were to score two more tries. Firstly, they secured lineout ball 32 yards out and good handling saw full back Reece Dean touch down for a try converted again by Humberstone after 65 minutes.

The final score came from a chip kick into Stourbridge touch in goal area and Mike Adlard was first to ball to score his third try of the game. Humberstone’s conversion completed the scoring to give Hull a resounding 48-5 victory.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s