1st Team, Home

Loma Lands Decisive Blow At Sedgley Park

Hull won a dramatic game to maintain their position as a top side in this division with a performance full of character with every player making his presence felt. The win sees Hull climb above Saturday’s opponents into second place in National 2 North.

Sedgley Park kicked off and were soon on the offensive and pressurised Hull into giving away a couple of early penalties. After five minutes, a line out from a penalty and kick for touch saw an efficient Sedgley catch and drive result in their hooker Gallagher getting a touchdown but too far out for off half Steve Collins to convert.

Hull responded well but when a break deep into the home side’s territory by prop Loma Kivalu was halted, Sedgley surged forward and from a ruck on Hull’s line, Sedgley Park’s number eight Tom Ailes plunged over and Collins’ conversion gave the home side a 12-0 advantage after 12 minutes.

Hull were working their way into the game with their set piece work causing the home side problems and after 25 minutes, a period of concerted pressure saw a good handling move result in a close range unconverted try for Simon Humberstone.

Eight minutes later, Hull drew level when good forward pressure followed by good handling saw full-back Reece Dean touch down for a fine try converted by Humberstone to see the scores level at 12-12.

Hull were starting to get on top, and had the better of the scrummages, but Sedgley held Hull out for the half-time whistle to come with Hull encamped in their ’22’.

The second half saw the home side start well and a clean break after 44 minutes was held by Hull deep in their ’22’. The pressure was eventually relieved by Hull and with the scores still level, Hull’s forwards drove into the home side’s half to set up the position for a fine drop goal by Humberstone to see Hull edge ahead after 55 minutes.

The visitors looked to have sealed the game seven minutes later when a catch and drive saw prop Kivalu get the touchdown with Humberstone’s conversion giving Hull a 22-12 lead.

Sedgley Park were not going down without a fight and a well worked try by their centre Matt Riley after 71 minutes saw a frantic final 10 minutes, but Hull’s solid defence once again saw out the game for a great 22-17 victory.

Richard Gore

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s