1st Team, Home

Stourbridge end Hull’s winning run despite late rally

In a game in which Hull were not at their best, they recovered from a 25-3 deficit to gain a bonus point with a late surge.
Hull started well when a clean break by winger Doug Flockhart saw Hull get to within 10 yards of the Stourbridge line but this excursion into the visitors’ half was short lived. Stourbridge recovered and broke out of their own half to see a kick ahead bounce the right way for their winger Dan Rundle to collect and score a good try after just six minutes.
Stourbridge then had the better of possession for the next ten minutes and their scrum-half Callum Morris kicked a penalty to see his side take an eight-point lead. Hull then started to get some possession and were rewarded with a penalty converted by off-half Simon Humberstone after 16 minutes.
Both sides were looking to move the ball, but it was Stourbridge who almost scored in the 24th minute when only a fine tackle by Hull’s full-back Lee Birch halted the attack.
Hull responded and with their pack starting to put together some good driving play, it was Hull who finished the half strongly camped on the visitors’ line but Stourbridge’s defence held out to see them lead 8-3 at half-time.
The second half saw Hull give away a penalty and after a couple of minutes and Stourbridge made good use of the ball with their forwards driving to the Hull line for their scrum-half Callum Morris to score in the left hand corner for an unconverted try.
Hull thenconceded two tries in quick succession. Firstly Stourbridge’s  powerful hooker drove over from close range after 47 minutes and then a good pass saw Rundle race under under the posts for Callum Morris to kick the conversion to see his side in command at 25-3 after 57 minutes.
Hull then fought their way upfield and after getting a penalty awarded, they took the lineout and substitute centre Ali Heard crashed over for a converted try after 70 minutes.
Moments later, Hull were to score again when the pack took the ball to the visitors line for Hull flanker Tom O’Donnell to roll off the maul and plunge over for an unconverted try.
With the clock ticking down Hull swept forward and got a penalty under the posts for Flockhart to convert for Hull to get to a 25-18 deficit and in sight of the visitors.
Hull then kept up the pressure but could not add to their score and had to be content with a bonus point.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s