1st Team, Home

Unlucky Hull defeated at Chester

Hull suffered defeat at the hands of the Chester side partly because they were unable to convert a couple of good try scoring opportunities and saw two goal kicks rebound off the posts.
Chester had  the better of the game in terms of territory but their failure to convert catch and drive opportunities from lineouts and Hull’s highly committed and well-organised defence meant that they only lead by two points after 78 minutes.
Chester put Hull under pressure from the kick off but Hull’s defence was not seriously troubled in the first quarter. Hull had their moments but lacked precision at vital moments.
The scoring finally opened when Chester’s catch and drive moved them to the Hull line where Chester’s prop Scott Robson was credited with the touch down. Off-half Callum Bennett adding the conversion to see Chester take a 7-0 lead.
Hull responded almost immediately but a Dean Reece penalty rebounded back into play of a post and then a promising move from their own line saw Hull see another chance slip away when the home sides defence was opening up but Hull were held in the tackle.
Hull were now looking the more likely to score but after 35 minutes the best chance deep in Chester’s ’22’ area was lost when a pass went to ground just 10 yards from the line leaving Chester to go into half-time with their seven point advantage.
The second half started badly for Hull when second row substitute Cameron Curry was yellow carded for a high tackle. Chester looked to take advantage of the situation but after another abhortive catch and drive attempt it was Hull who nearly scored. After taking the ball deep into the Chester half an outrageous dummy by prop Mike Jobling saw him sprint for the line being held a yard short.
A moment later Hull disrupted the home sides five yard scrum and as the ball went loose Hull’s number eight Latu Makaafi pounced to get the touch down for an unconverted try after 52 minutes to narrow the gap to two points.
Neither side seemed able to land a killer blow as Hull ‘s attacks were hamstrung by the occasional dropped pass and Chester’ s obsession with catch and drives from lineouts foundered on a rock-like Hull defensive line.
With just two minutes remaining Hull broke out of their own half but when they lost the ball Chester won the ensuing scrum and retain possession to put their winger Harrison Vare clear to race in for a try which Callum Bennett converted leaving Hull without the losing bonus point many thought they deserved.
Richard Gore

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s