1st Team, Home

Regardsoe helps Hull defeat leaders

Hull recorded their first away win of the season against a powerful and well-organised Stourbridge side.
Hull’s forwards, with second rower Liam Regardsoe’s tackling outstanding, overcame injuries to Ben Bootham and scrum-half Harvey Harding to lay the foundation for a great victory and remain unbeaten on their return to National 2 North.
Hull kicked off on Stourbridge’s immaculate all weather pitch and immediately won their own kick off. This produced a period of Hull pressure but the home side tackled well to keep Hull at bay.
Hull were moving the ball well with off half Humberstone probing and moving the home side’s defence well and it was Hull who had a chance to open the scoring after 13 minutes.
A good attack was halted illegally by Stourbridge but Humberstone’s 40-yard penalty fell just short.
This seemed to energise the home side and they advanced into Hull’s ’22’ for the first time. Some good pressure took them to within five yards of Hull’s line and hooker Jack Lea barged over from a try well converted by off half Chris Scott to see Stourbridge lead by 7 -0 after 19 minutes.
Hull kicked off and again fielded their own kick off and although they broke clear were unable to convert this possession into a score as a dropped pass just five yards out saw the chance wasted.
Hull kept up the pressure and after 33 minutes were rewarded with a penalty under the posts converted by Humberstone.
Almost immediately Hull made the most of a catch-and-drive from a line-out to see the pack force the ball over the line with the try awarded to number 8 Latu Maakafi. The conversion was missed but Hull went in with a slender 8-7 lead at half-time.
The second period began with both sides moving the ball at every opportunity which meant turnovers and occasional handling errors see the ball change hands regularly.
Stourbridge made the most of this when in the 43rd minute they mounted a flowing attack from within their own ’22’ to release winger Dan Rundle on a 50-yard run to touch down under the posts allowing Chris Scott to convert with ease.
Hull kept working hard and had already begun to get the edge in the scrummage where Mike Jobling, Ali Thompson and Mike Dias were getting the better of their opposition.
As the home side began to concede penalties, Hull were seeing gaps open up. After 55 minutes Hull moved the ball right after the forwards had driven deep into the ’22’ area and good hands saw full back Reece Dean race in for an unconverted try to see Hull lead by just one point after 57 minutes.
With both sides straining for a winning score, it was Hull who kept up the momentum slightly better and two Humberstone penalties in the 66th and 74th minutes saw Hull home 19-14 .

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s