1st Team, Home

One more point needed to be crowned champions

Hull had another resounding victory as they equalled the club’s winning sequence of 21 games, which started with the second game of the season back in September.

On a perfect rugby afternoon, Lymm had their fair share of possession, but it was Hull who had the cutting edge, the organisation and try scoring ability throughout the side which proved too much for a young Lymm side .

Hull were quickly into their stride when a quick tap penalty was taken on by the forwards and from close range it fell to prop Ben Bootham to get the touchdown and off-half Simon Humberstone added the conversion for a 7-0 lead.

Lymm had their moments in the next few minutes without ever looking likely to score and it was Hull who struck again after 14 minutes when line-out ball was retained well before the ball was released and winger Stephen Hihetah scored an unconverted try in the left hand corner .

A period of possession for Lymm brought them little joy and when Hull ‘s winger Hihetah made a 50-yard break after 28 minutes, the ball was moved to the right when he was tackled allowing full back Lee Birch to race past a despairing defence for another try converted by Humberstone.

Hull were now looking dangerous every time they had the ball and after 36 minutes, a turnover deep in their own half saw the home side retain possession, drive 40 yards  and then good handling gave winger Mike Adlard space to sprint round defenders on his way to a great try converted by Humberstone.

From the kick-off Hull secured the ball and released Hihetah to beat off three would-be tacklers on his to yet another Hull try near the posts. Humberstone’s conversion seeing Hull lead at half-time 33-0 and the game was effectively over as a real contest.

The second half saw Lymm taking the game to Hull and they lacked nothing in determination and effort but the Hull defence held them without ever looking under serious pressure.

Hull’s own attacking efforts were hampered by a series of penalties and a few handling errors but a poor defensive kick by Lymm gave Adlard a gift wrapped opportunity to score a try converted by Humberstone after 60 minutes.

Moments later Hull’s prominent second row Liam Regardsoe was shown a yellow card for a high tackle and this gave Lymm a  numerical advantage which enabled their scrum-half Tom Shard to run 40 yards for a Lymm consolation try after 66 minutes.

Hull then raised their game once more and a quick tap penalty near Lymm’s line saw back row man Tom O’Donnell crash over after 71 minutes and Hihetah grabbed another try as Hull pressed home their advantage. Humberstone converted both tries to see Hull home 54-5 and effectively just one point away from the league title as their points difference looks impregnable with just four games left.


RIchard Gore

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s