1st Team, Home

Hull hammer Vale of Lune to go 19 points clear

Hull recorded their biggest win of the season and were just seven points away from their all-time biggest score as they overpowered a slightly understrength Vale of Lune side who had no answer to Hull’s driving forward play, astute half-back organisation, quick handling and clinical finishing.

A slightly scrappy start was soon forgotten as Hull counter-attacked after just five minutes. Full-back Lee Birch took the ball in his own half and side-stepped his way clear to get to within 10 yards of the visitors’ line and give winger Mike Adlard the easiest of run-ins to score Hull’s first try. Simon Humberstone’s conversion was the first of eight he made in the first half.

Hull’s second try after 10 minutes came from a kick out of defence by off-half Humberstone which bounced awkwardly for the visitors but Adlard was on had to catch the ball and run in from 35 yards for a converted try.

Seven minutes later Hull scored again after winning a Vale of Lune line-out. Second row man Paul Hamber drove the ball forward scattering defenders and as the field opened up winger Stephen Hihetah was on hand to brush off a couple tackles on his was to Hull’s third converted try.

With Hull dominating at all phases it was no surprise when they drove forward out of their own ten metre area and number eight Joe Stafford took the ball 40 yards before the ball was laid off to flanker Tom O’Donnell to crash over for Hull’s fourth converted try after 21 minutes. Three minutes later a break from their own half saw Hull’s wingers Hihetah and Adlard exchange passes before substitute back Keane Naylor popped up to take the scoring pass and race over for Hull’s fifth converted try.

Straight from the kick off Hull’s Hihetah, Adlard duo were at it again as they raced 80 yards interpassing as they went, before Hihetah sprinted clear for Hull’s sixth converted try. 

A short period of pressure from the visitors came to an end when Hull eased back into the Vale’s ‘22’ metre area and a short pass from Humberstone saw centre Steve Johnson straight through the gap for Hull’s seventh converted try after 39 minutes.

The final try of the half came after prop Dom Hardman broke free around the halfway line, bounced off two tacklers and laid off the perfect pass for Adlard to collect and race under the posts. Humberstone’s eighth conversion saw Hull in complete command leading 56-0 at half-time.

The second period was much the same as the first. Hull collected the kick-off , retained possession, and then moved the ball wide and good hands saw Hihetah in at the left hand corner. 

After 47 minutes another Hull try followed as the irrepressible wing forward O’Donnell backed up a handling move and touched down for Hull’s tenth try.

Hull then went through a period of over ambitious approach play which broke down and it took about 13 minutes to re-establish a rhythm.

However reestablish it they did with devastating effect scoring five tries in the last 17 minutes. A quick tap penalty on the Vale ‘22’ metre line saw centre Ali Heard over for the first of those tries. 

Six minutes later a mix up on the Vale try line saw mike Adlard first to the ball for another try. 

Hihetah then helped himself to a brace of tries in just three minutes as he bullocked his way over after 76 minutes then showed his pace racing 70 yards for the second of those tries.

A minute later Hull’s rock solid centre Heard was on hand to score Hull’s 15th try and Humberstone’s three second half conversions saw Hull resounding winners 96-0 and well clear at the top of the league.

Richard Gore

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s