1st Team, Home

Hull overcome Blaydon test

Hull won a close game at home thanks to the unerring boot of Simon Humberstone whose three penalty goals saw Hull home despite losing the try count by two to one.
Blaydon showed what they had in mind from the kick-off when Hull failed to secure possession from Blaydon’s start to the game.
The visitors picked up the loose ball and kept possession well and after five phases their second row Jack Davidson powered over after a 20-yard burst leaving his off-half Nathan Horsfall to add the conversion with just two minutes on the clock.
Hull were quick to get on terms when their back row Tom O’Donnell powered into the Blaydon ’22’. Tomasi Tanumi made great use of the space created to lay on the try for centre partner Keane Naylor with Humberstone adding the conversion after seven minutes.
Hull were starting to show their dominance at the scrummage but despite being awarded several penalties and seeing Blaydon prop yellow carded late in the first half, they were unable to score in the first half, other than a welcome Humberstone penalty giving Hull a 10-7 lead at half-time.
The second half saw Hull secure some good field position but they rarely broke the Blaydon defensive line. Hull still maintained scrummage dominance but were unable to turn that advantage into points. In the 59th minute Hull eased further ahead when Humberstone kicked another penalty but five minutes later they surrendered their lead.
Blaydon made good use of a penalty award to kick for position and drive Hull back.
Hull kept that drive at bay but Blaydon kept up the pressure and their wing forward Matt Jenkinson dived in at the base of the posts. Horsfall’s conversion putting Blaydon into a two-point lead.
Hull had brought on Tom Rice at hooker, Stephen Johnson at centre and Rupert Kay in the back row to freshen their side.
Hull were able to regain their lead in the 68th minute through a further Humberstone penalty, but Blaydon then mounted a series of attacks to stretch the Hull defence.
That defence was equal to the task disrupting two catch and drives attempts and frustrating the north Easterners. With time running out Hull forced their way upfield but lost possession near the Blaydon line. With injury time being played Blaydon broke from their own half but a spectacular tackle by Hull’s Stephen Hihetah halted Blaydon 15 yards out. Blaydon kept the ball and with a try looking likely, they knocked on to end up falling short by two points.
Hull maintained their remarkable winning run but had their toughest examination so far on their home ground.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s