Norman Angell takes a look at Sandal from their beginnings to the current day.
We offer a warm welcome to Sandal RUFC to the Latus Leisure Ferens Ground for Saturday’s league fixture.
Sandal RUFC were formed in 1927 and first played on Tetley Field, using a beer store at the adjacent Walnut Tree public house as a changing room. The Second XV used a nearby Joiners shop on Barnsley Road for the same purpose. In 1931 the club moved to what is now known as the First XV Field at Milnthorpe Green where they remain to the present day.
Sandal RUFC have won the Yorkshire Cup on two occasions in 1997 and 2001 and were champions of North One in 1994-95 before hitting a bad patch and ending up in Yorkshire Division One.
They were champions of that division in 2007-08. In 2009-10 they won promotion back to North One via the play-offs and promotion to National Three North by the same route in 2014-15.
This season our visitors have had a difficult time and have won six and drawn one of their seventeen matches and are presently in tenth position in the table. Strangely enough four of these wins have been on the road with victories at Birkenhead Park, Kirkby Lonsdale, Pocklington and Ilkley with a draw at Morley. Their only two wins at home were against Ilkley and Wirral. This last game was only two weeks ago when an amazing second half come-back saw them defeat Wirral by 33-26 after trailing 26-0 at half-time.
In the corresponding game at Sandal on October 28th we posted a good 46-14 win.
It is a pleasure to welcome the players, officials and supporters of Sandal RUFC to our ground this afternoon.