1st Team, Home

Lancaster double as Hull beat Billingham

Hull won a close game with the decisive score coming in the 71st minute when winger Callum Lancaster intercepted and ran 80 yards to score a try converted by off half Steve Johnson.
The foundation for the victory lay in outstanding tackling by Hull with AliHeard at centre and Joe Stafford at number eight leading the way in an outstanding pack performance at the scrummage.
Hull were playing on an artificial surface for the second time since Christmas and were at home on the relatively dry conditions.
The home side started quite well and were only denied a try by their number eight Dixon, when he was penalised for a double movement in the fourth minute.
Hull responded to the challenge and having missed a catch and drive opportunity after nine minutes they made no mistake three minutes later when they followed up a kick by Steve Johnson.
The home side full back was robbed of the ball on his own ‘22’ and Callum Lancaster showed his try scoring instincts as he chipped past the last defender and won the race for the touchdown to open Hull’s account with an unconverted try after 12 minutes.
A clean break by Hull’s other winger Steve Hihetah seemed certain to result in another Hull try four minutes later but the final pass went to ground.
Hull were back on the attack nine minutes later and after stretching the Billingham defence Steve Johnson dummied his over for Hull’s second try which he converted to see his side 12 points in the lead.
As the break approached Billingham mounted a series of drives and with the Hull defence being sucked in Billingham’s off half Peter Evans kicked cross field with great accuracy for winger Tom Briggs to collect and dive over. Scrum half Dan Finney converted to see the home side just five points adrift at the break.
The second period saw Hull put in a prodigious defensive effort as Billingham strove to get on level terms.
Hull’s set piece scrum denied them possession at a number of vital moments and just when it seemed Hull’s resistance was under maximum prssure Callum Lancaster came up with his interception and spectacular try after 71 minutes.
Hull’s lead looked secure but Billingham stormed back on the attack and with Hull’s Steve Johnson being yellow carded, Hull’s defence was tested once again but held firm to enable Hull to record a victory which keeps them well in the hunt for a play off place.

By Richard Gore

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s