1st Team, Home

From the archives: Beating Chester to win promotion

Hull RUFC won promotion to National Division Two (North) after an emphatic 40-15 win over Chester in the Divisional play-off.
On the biggest day in their 17-year history Hull gave a superb all-round team performance. Both sides produced a very good game of rugby played in a fine spirit with no red or yellow cards shown.
Hull had shown their commitment to the challenge by training three times last week and the final try tally of five to two showed the difference between the two teams. They took an early lead with two penalties from fly-half James Cameron in the first eight minutes.
They kept up the pressure on Chester and in the 20th minute they scored their opening try when Tevita Vailkona intercepted a move out of defence to race forty yards to score. Cameron’s conversion attempt drifted just wide in the strong cross wind.
Chester had shown they were capable of good football when in the 30th minute a good move to the left after a line-out saw slick handling before full-back Sean Green scored a try which fly-half Tom Foden converted to put his side back in the game.
In the 39th minute Hull picked up a loose ball in mid-field and the initial break by Rob Devonshire was taken on by Vaikona before prop Ben Davis-Rice put in winger Matt White for a try near the posts which Cameron converted.
Hull were still not done and in the third minute of added time a break from a ruck saw great inter-passing from the forwards which resulted in lock Dan Cook covering the last twenty yards for the try which was well-converted by Cameron from wide out.
The break came with Hull holding a healthy 25-7 lead which was almost increased when Alex Piercy went very close early in the second half. Chester did get the next score when scrum-half James Farrell broke through after a line-out for a fine individual try in the 47th minute. Foden’s kick was just wide from the touchline.
Cameron and Foden exchanged penalty goals and Hull led 28-15 on the hour. Hull made sure of the game in the 66th minute when they won a scrum and as the ball was moved to the right Alex Piercy ran thirty yards, wrong-footing the full-back to score beneath the posts, leaving Cameron an easy conversion which he duly slotted over.
The icing on the cake came in the 78th minute when substitute centre Latu Makaafi supported a break up the middle to score an unconverted try.
Chester had played their full part in this game and although well-beaten at the end had produced some flashes of fast and open rugby which Hull had to work hard to contain.
After the match Director of Rugby Tevita Vaikona said: “We got the right result but it was a tough game, as winner-take-all games usually are.
“The boys did well and I am proud of them.
“The forwards got us on the right foot and right across the park our back-row was immense.
“It was such a good team performance and everyone did their job well.
“As well as the pack our halves played very well and it spread throughout the whole team.
“We will sit down next week to consider the next level we are going in to. It is what we aspired to be and the hard work now begins”.

The Hull side on that famous day was:
Guy Martinson, Alex Piercy, Ollie Norman, Tevita Vaikona, Matt White, James Cameron, Chris Kendra, James Ward, Scott Plevey, Ben Davis-Rice, Chris Murphy (c), Dan Cook, Darren Wigg, Sioni Onesi and Rob Devonshire. Subs; Maea David, Latu Makaafi Kris Renwick and Chris Harding.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s