1st Team, 1st's Match Reports

Hull lose ground on leaders after Billingham loss

Hull were re-acquainted with the harsh realities of national league rugby as their free flowing rugby style was derailed by a blustery wind, an immaculate Billingham goal kicker and an obdurate defence which saw Hull held up over the line on four occasions.
A three try to two balance in Hull’s favour could have been more substantial but the opportunities for Hull to score were not taken as too often the last pass did not go to hand.
Hull faced the wind in the first period and with second row forward Paul Hamber leading the charge they were able to offer a real threat to the visitors line.
A sharp break by off-half Reece Dean in the tenth minute seemed certain to get Hull’s score rolling but a last ditch ankle tap saw the chance disappear.
Seven minutes later Hull scored a trademark try as they spun the ball across the field and a brilliant off load by full back Lee Birch saw flanker Oliver Dynan go in for an excellent try which off half Reece Dean converted.
Hull continued to pressurise the visitors line but after a couple of near misses it was Billingham who scored next in the twenty eighth minute when a fine pass released their prop Dominic Mcallorum who bullocked his way through a series of tackles before plunging over near the post for a try well converted by his scrum half Dan Finney.
Hull then were adjudged offside at a couple of rucks in the 31st and 34th minutes and Billingham’s Dan Finney was on hand to add six points to his sides tally.
Hull then bounced back and although they had full back Lee Birch held up over the line they made no mistake in first half injury time when excellent handling saw winger Stephen Hihetah go in at the left hand corner for an unconverted try to see his side trail by a solitary point at the break.
Hull made light  of the blustery conditions at the start of the second period as the kept dominating the scrums and when full back Lee Birch collected a Billingham kick out of defence after just 45 minutes which resulted in a wonderfully worked  unconverted try for winger Stephen Hihetah few would have bet against a Hull victory.
Another dangerous move by Hull was only halted by a good interception by the visitors when it seemed Hull must score after fifty three minutes.
After 60 minutes the game tilted decisively the visitors way when Hull’s try scoring back row man Oliver Dynan was yellow carded and the visitors scored ten points in his absence through a Dan Finney penalty and a converted try through substitute centre Gardner.
When Hull were restored to a full compliment they gathered themselves and mounted a furious assault on the Billingham line but a desperate but effective defence by Billingham  and some handling errors on Hull’s part meant that they ended the game with just a bonus point to show for all their efforts and a tricky game next week away at Sandal to contemplate.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s