1st Team, 1st's Match Reports, Home

Lymm hold off Hull’s second half fightback

Hull came away empty handed from a game where they dominated the scrums and made more hard yards than their opponents but were undone by a slick handling side who turned any ball turned over to them by Hull to maximum advantage.
Hull responded well in the second period but ran out of time when a couple of bonus points seemed to be coming their way.
The home side got off to the worst possible start conceding a kickable penalty in the first minute of the game. Lymm full back Nolan Conran converted the opportunity and repeated the dose in the 11th and 15th minutes as Hull got on the wrong side of the referee to give his side a nine-point cushion.
Hull were in the game and constantly probed the visitors defence but it held firm and just when it seemed Hull might redress the balance they spilt a ball in Lymms half. The visitors seized the chance to go 60 yards and put their winger Lucas Titherington over for a try well converted by Nolan Cormac after 25 minutes. Worse was to follow on 38 minutes as another Hull attack broke down and Lymm swept forward allowing their scrum-half Andy Davies to scamper under the post leaving Nolan Cormac the easiest of conversions to see Lymm in total command leading 23-0 at half time.
The second half saw Hull take the game to Lymm and after just eight minutes Hull moved the ball well and winger Callum Lancaster went in for a good try converted by full back Lee Birch.
Hull’s recovery received a set back when after 54 minutes, Lymm winger Titherington caught a kick ahead and the ball was moved to his wing partner Joe Denman who went over for Lymm’s last try of the game and see then 28-5 points in the lead.
Hull were far from finished and their attacking potential was clear for all to see as after sixty one minutes winger Steve Hihetah was released on the right and beat off five defenders on his way to a magnificent try which full back Lee Birch converted well from wide out.
Hull poured forward and an astute grubber kick through by scrum half Harvey Harding saw Mike Adlard sprint through to collect the ball and score Hull’s third try after 71 minutes. Lee Birch’s conversion gave Hull real hope but despite constant pressure Hull were unable to score again in the final ten minutes and their unbeaten run this season had come to an end.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s