1st Team, 1st's Match Reports, Home

Honours even in top of the table clash

It was a game Hull could have won. Preston could have won. But in the end both sides maintained their unbeaten starts to the season following a tense 10-10 draw at Chanterlands Avenue.
Traffic delays meant Preston arrived at the ground 40 metres notes before kick-off and that may have been a factor as to why they started slowly.
Their first attack in Hull’s half came after 15 minutes by which time they were 10-0 down in the scoreboard.
Hull scrum-half Harvey Howard caught the visitors sleeping in the first minute when his quickly taken tap penalty allowed Stephen Hihetah to score his second try in as many weeks. Steve Johnson missed the conversion, which was the story of kickers for both sides throughout the day with every goal attempt missing the target.
Preston were reduced to 14 men three minutes later when their full-ball was sin-binned.
Hull made their extra man count moments before the 10 minutes were up when Joe Stafford scored his second try in two games thanks to another well worked move from the home side.
Preston missed two penalties before half-time as the sides turned around with Hull leading 10-0.
Kicking proved a problem for the kickers as a drop goal went begging for the Grasshoppers at the start of the second half.
But they recorded their first points of the game shortly after when their forwards powered over the line for an unconverted try.
The majority of the remainder of the second half was played in Hull’s half as Preston looked to level matters.
Cameron Curry was sent to the sin bin shortly after Preston’s try and was soon followed by Hihetah.
Playing against Preston with 15 men was hard, doing so with 14 men for 20 minutes left Gary Pearce’s side fearing the worst.
Nine minutes from time, Preston drew level with another unconverted try. There was time for Hull to win the game. After absorbing all that the Grasshoppers had to offer, Hull’s fitness was there for all to see.
A penalty opportunity presented itself four minutes from time, but Johnson’s radar was still off and his game winning kick drifted wide and short.
As the clock wound down, Hull were in a great attacking position in front of goal, but instead of attempting a drop goal, they went for the try. It was a decision that cost them any chance of winning the game.
So both sides remain unbeaten, but their was no cause for celebration on either side after a hard fought contest.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s