1st's Match Reports

Doubles galore as Hull ease past Sandal

Hull were determined to bounce back from the disappointment of last week’s defeat at Rossendale and an attacking display of rugby not only blew away their opponents but established Hull’s third place in the league against a side who had beaten Rossendale earlier in the season.
Hull began well and it took just two minutes for them to establish field position after a penalty took them to the visitors ’22’. Having won the ensuing line out Hull drove all the way to the line for a text book catch and drive try scored by number eight Joe Stafford.
Sandal replied in kind within five minutes to temporarily take the lead with their number eight Whittinghan being awarded the try which his centre and captain Greg Wood converted giving them a two point advantage.
Hull were in mood to be denied and scored four more tries in  the remaining 30 minutes of the half. After 13 minutes Hull were held up twenty five yards out but Steve Hihetah took matters into his own hands holding off a couple of players in a close quarters burst that took him clear to score near the posts for an unconverted try.
Five minutes later another Hull attack from within their own half eventually saw Ali Heard burst through a tackle to race 35 yards to score another unconverted try. Just 26 minutes had elapsed when Hull once again broke out from their own territory giving full back Lee Birch all the space he needed to out manoeuvre and outpace the Sandal defence and register Hull’s fourth try and an early bonus point. Off half Tyler Price converted this effort to see the home side almost out of sight with two thirds off the game remaining.
As the break beckoned Hull were to register another score after winning a scrum twenty nine yards out as the ball was quickly moved to Lee Birch coming into the line to stroll over for  another try which Price converted to see Hull virtually home and dry at halftime leading by 29-7.
The second period saw  Hull’s players move the ball as well as they have done this year and only desperate defence and a couple of loose passes kept the score below 50 points.
In the 52nd minute, centre Joe Martin bullocked his way out of a couple of tackles before running fully 45 yards to go under the posts for a try converted by Price. Ten minutes later Price showed his growing confidence when making a neat 30 yard break before his precise pass sent in centre Heard for his second try which Price converted.
Sandal kept working and another Whittingham try from close range converted by Greg Wood was  their last offensive action and as the final whistle approached a loose kick out of defence by Sandal to Hull’s Steve Hihetah saw the winger run around sixty yards to register Hull’s eighth try and see them 48-14 points victors.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s