1st Team

Match Report: (A) Billingham W 38-7

Hull overcame a spirited Billingham side and despite failing to convert three golden try scoring opportunities in the first period ran out convincing winners in a game that sees them move to fourth in the league.
Hull were on the scoreboard within three minutes as a loose kick from the home side was eagerly seized upon by Hull with scrum half Harvey Harding making the most of an overstretched defence to scamper over with Hull’s off half Tamani Tomasi adding the conversion.
Hull kept up the pressure and despite missing out after fourteen minutes when a knock on saw a try go begging just five yards out , another injudicious kick from Billingham saw Hull’s full back Lee Birch skip through the home side’s defence for a great try under the post with Tomasi adding the conversion.
It seemed that Hull were now in control of the game but Billingham had been stung into retaliatory action and a forward surge and good handling by their backs saw their winger Tom Briggs in at the corner with scrum half Don Finney converting well to put his side back in touch after twenty five minutes.
Hull then squandered two golden try scoring opportunities when a Lee Birch break was ended ten yards from the line and another try was disallowed for a knock on over the line.
At halftime Hull’s 14-7 lead looked insecure as they were about to play up the slope but an early Tomasi penalty settled Hull’s supporters fears after forty eight minutes and when Hull’s pack powered upfield with their number eight, Joe Stafford scoring near the posts Tanumi Tomasi’s conversion seemed to put an end to Billinghams resistance.
The home side roused themselves and mounted a concerted effort to score and from the sixtieth minute laid siege to Hull line.
Hull’s Joe Stafford was yellow carded after sixty two minutes and Billingham pounded Hull’s line all the harder but Hull’s defence was exemplary and held out .
As Billingham legs tired Hull’s fourteen men broke upfield and when Joe Martin burst clear near the home sides ten meter line Hull’s strong running centre Alex Heard was on hand to take the pass and score Hull’s bonus point try after sixty five minutes.
Hull were now in compete control and it was no surprise that they scored a final try after eighty minutes when second row man Lee Brown sped through a gap fifteen yards out to score Hull’s fifth try.
Tomasi’s conversion completing an emphatic 38-7 points victory for Hull.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s