1st Team

Match Report: (H) Rossendale L 21-30

A disappointed Gary Pearce felt Hull could well have won ,having led with less than ten minutes to go ,but for a few tactical errors and a handful of individual mistakes.Nevertheless Hull showed themselves more than capable of mixing it with a side currently sitting second in the league.
The game was only five minutes old when Rossendale seized on a dropped ball in Hull’s twenty two metre area to put their winger George Peel in for an unconverted try.
Hull fought their way back into the game and an eleventh minute penalty from the boot of off half Tomasi Tanumi opened Hull’s account.
Moments later Rossendale’s Steve Butt notched a penalty of his own to reestablish a five point lead .
Hull then secured the ball and with the forwards combining well surged upfield allowing scrum half Harvey Harding the space to break into Rossendsles twenty metre area .When the ball was recycled Steve Hihetah came off his wing to ease past the visitors defence for an unconverted try after nineteen minutes.
Hull had slightly the better of the second quarter but we’re unable to break down Rossendales defence leaving the scores level eight all at halftime.
The second half started well for Hull when they secured field position in the visitors half and following a line out drove over the try line with Hull’s new prop Wesley Langkilde getting the touchdown.
The visitors matched that score with a similar effort of their own moments later to level the scores once more but when in the fifty fourth minute Hull’s second row Stuart Nell barged over from short range Hull were back in the lead and were in a good position to ease away from the visitors. 
Hull then conceded possession and despite some resolute defending were unable to prevent Rossendale’s off half, Steve Nutt, jinking his way over from short range and the converting his own try after just sixty five minutes.
A penalty goal by Hull’s Tomasi Tanumi after sixty seven minutes gave Hull a slender one point lead but as Rossendsle gathered themselves for the last ten minutes Hull made a couple of errors allowing the visitors to kick a seventy third minute penalty through Steve Nutt 
quickly followed by a close quarters try from their back row man MacKinnon converted by Nutt to see his side leading 30 21.
Hull threw everything at Rossendale in the remaining five minutes but were left empty handed at the final whistle despite leading for much of the game.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s