1st Team

Match Report: (H) Lymm W 26-18

Hull had to overcome a good Lymm scrummaging unit, two yellow cards ,a serious injury to prop Steve Quigley and a massive penalty count deficit to register a maximum points win in a dramatic game against the side who were one point ahead of them in the league at the kick off.
Hull started well and looked to keep the ball moving despite the greasy conditions.
There ambition was rewarded when good forward work and good handling gave Hull’s right winger Lee Birch all the room he needed to go over in the right hand corner for an unconverted try after eleven minutes.
Lynn’s response was not long in coming and after fifteen minutes they went over for a try after splitting the Hull defence only to be brought back for a forward pass.
Both sides were looking to play open rugby but time and again handling errors 
ruined promising moves.
As the half entered its final stages it was the visitors who had a couple of scoring chances but a missed penalty and a disrupted five yard scrum seemed to have seen off their efforts until the last seconds of the period saw Hull’s scrum half Harvey Harding yellow carded and Lymm’s Conran Nolan kick the resulting penalty to see Hull go in 5-3 ahead at the break.
The second half saw the visitors step up their intensity and they scored almost immediately when their hooker Ross White was awarded a try after good forward pressure.
Hull won the ball after the kick off and before Lymm could reorganize themselves Hull’s centre Joe Martin beat five defenders on his way to an outstanding try under the posts giving Lee Birch the easiest of conversions.
Six minutes later Martin was on hand again to scoop up a ball dislodged in the tackle to race under the posts again for Lee Birch to add the conversion to see Hull in the lead 19-8.Having scored twice with Harvey Harding still off the field Hull were bolstered by his return but it was Lymm who struck next after fifty six minutes through a Nolan penalty but when Joe Stafford rounded off a twenty phase move by Hull ,going over in the left hand corner for try magnificently converted by Lee Birch after sixty two minutes Hull looked in command.
However when Lynn’s centre Ollie Higginson scored a try converted by Nolan five minutes later Lymm were back in the game only eight points adrift with fifteen minutes to go.
Hull’s defence held out in a tense finish to see them easing up the league table.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s