1st Team

Match Report: (A) Wirral L 18-32

With echos of last week’s encounter against Huddersfield Hull lost a game they led by three points at half time only to be overhauled by an efficient display of rugby by their hosts.
Hull started well and had the edge in the scrum and after both sides had chances to open their account it was Hull who made progress upfield for scrum half Harvey Harding to round off good work by scoring the first try of the match under the posts after twenty minutes.Unaccountably the conversion was missed as a Wirral player charged down the kick.
From the restart Hull lost control of the ball and it bounced up obligingly into the hands of the eager Wirral forwards for their number eight Pearl to race forty yards to bring the scores level just sixty seconds after Hull’s opening try. 
Wirral were unsuccessful with the conversion attempt but they were soon back on the attack and when scrum half Joe Murray made space twenty yards from Hull’s line Pearl was on hand once again to take the pass and score his second try in just four minutes. 
Hull reacted well and after thirty minutes a head high tackle was punished as Hull’s centre Tomasi Tanumi slotted over the penalty to take Hull within two points of their hosts. Better was to follow and after a storming run by Hull’s second row man Liam Regardsoe took Hull deep into the Wirral twenty two metre area, Hull retained possession and finally made space to their left hand side and full back James Kirk celebrated his return from injury by scoring near the left hand corner.Although the conversion attempt sailed wide Hull went in at the break deservedly leading 13-10 .
The second half was just three minutes old when Wirral managed a good maul close to the Hull line with heir forwards surging over the line for their second row Paul Lewis to touch down for a try converted by his winger Mark Williams to take Wirral into a 17-13 lead.
Hull then had a good opportunity of their own after forty eight minutes but the final pass went to ground. Worse was to follow when Hull’s number eight was yellow carded after fifty one minutes and then Wirral’s Williams kicked a penalty goal on fifty seven minutes.
Three minutes later after good work by the Wirral pack their off half Craig Harvey found room to go over for another try converted by Williams to put the hosts well ahead at 27-13.Hull threw caution to the wind and a brilliant sixty yard break by winger Lee Birch looked certain to get Hull back into it but the ball went to ground with a try looking likely.
The game was finally put beyond Hull’s reach when a move from deep in their own half saw Wirral go seventy yards with a move finished of by their scrum half Joe Murray whose unconverted try saw his side leading 32-13 with just ten minutes left.
Hull went all out to claim a bonus point and after seventy seven minutes classy handling by all the backs saw James Kirk in at the right hand corner for his second try after seventy seven minutes and the game finished with Hull being held up a yard short for what would have been a bonus point that was the least their efforts deserved.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s