1st Team

Match Report: (H) Huddersfield L 10-45

Hull’s coach Gary Pearce was philosophical as he pointed out that his side having lead at halftime and with the scores level with eighteen minutes left were undone by a Huddersfield barrage of points during a period in which the visitors played near faultless rugby assisted by a 100% goal kicking display by their off half Bell.
Hull had started the game with high hopes and despite some early Huddersfield pressure Hull were soon back in the visitors half . Huddersfield’s defence held firm but Hull fashioned a good chance after eighteen minutes when number eight Dan Hague broke clear but the pass near the half way line went to ground with the visitors defence stretched. 
It fell to Huddersfield to break the dead lock after thirty minutes when their forwards retained possession after a series of drives near the Hull line their scrum half Dan Jeffrey burrowed his way over near the posts for a try converted by Bell.
Hull’s response was not long in coming and a few minutes later a thrilling run from Hull’s Lee Birch in which he beat half a dozen would be tacklers in a fifty yard break saw him stopped just a yard short of the line.
The home side kept up the momentum and despite failing with a catch and drive attempt after thirty three minutes their reward came when prop George Thornton crashed through the Huddersfield defence to lay on a pass for back row forward Cameron Curry to score his first try for the club after thirty eight minutes.Tomasi Tanumi added the conversion to level the scores .
As halftime approached Hull surged forward again and their efforts were rewarded when Huddersfield’s centre Owen was penalised and yellow carded for a high tackle on Hull’s Alex Heard allowing full back Tanumi to kick a penalty to see his side leading 10-7 at the break. 
Hull started the second period well and had good chances with attacking lineouts near the visitors line in the forty third and forty sixth minutes but lost possession on both occasions. Huddersfield then found a good position in the Hull half and a penalty by their off half Bell after fifty four minutes levelled the scores. 
Hull had another chance to take the lead minutes later after a penalty award but the kick was narrowly wide and a tense last quarter seemed in in prospect .
It was Huddersfield who took the lead after sixty three minutes when their forwards drove a maul to the Hull line for Callum Thompson to be credited with the try converted by Bell.
This signalled an unexpected flurry of scores for the visitors who retained possession well and capitalized ruthlessly on any Hull errors to score a further four tries in fifteen minutes through forwards Austen Thompson, Brandon Conway, Callum Thompson getting his second touchdown and finally Lewis Bradley going over after eighty minutes .Bell’s unerring boot maximized the score to leave Hull wondering how they lost a game so heavily in which they had been ahead or level for so long.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s